UFC 223 – Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov
UFC heads to Brooklyn for UFC 223, headlined by the lightweight title fight between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov.
UFC 223 – Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov Cheat Sheet
The UFC heads to Brooklyn on April 7th (Sunday April 8th, 12pm AEST) for UFC 223 and the highly-anticipated lightweight title fight between the interim 155 lbs champion Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov.
This is the fourth time the match-up between “Eagle” and “El Cucuy” has been made, with the lightweight bout falling through the first three scheduled times.
UFC President Dana White has confirmed Conor McGregor will no longer be the undisputed lightweight champion by UFC 223, and we admit we’re stating the obvious when we say that this is a huge fight for the 155 lbs division. Ferguson and Nurmagomedov take a combined 19-fight winning streak into the octagon, and the outcome of UFC 223 will no doubt represent a shift in power for the lightweight division.
Nurmagomedov recently said in an interview with Kevin Iole, “25 years UFC history, they never make fight like this fight. This is high level fight. This is going to be very good for fans, for guy who gonna take this belt, UFC gonna make money. Everyone gonna be happy because this fight very high level fight and this fight most important fight in UFC today.”
Ferguson is considered one of the best strikers in the division, at times displaying an unorthodox style when retiring his opponents. Striking coach, Rashad Holloway, has predicted Ferguson, the clear underdog, will shock the MMA world with a knockout on April 7.
Many predict the winner of the UFC 223 lightweight title fight will face-off against Conor McGregor later this year, but Nurmagomedov is not so sure, saying in the Iole interview that “he’s going to have to beg and I’m going to take this belt and I’m going to say ‘Hey Conor McGregor, I’m going to change this game”
Cheat sheet for those new to UFC
- Nurmagomedov averages six takedowns every 15 minutes of fight time
- Nurmagomedov is the only fighter in the UFC with a 25-0 record
- On average, Nurmagomedov absorbs a meager 1.5 significant strikes per minute, which makes him the eighth most difficult fighter to strike on the UFC roster
- Nurmagomedov has the third-most successful takedowns in UFC history, and the most takedowns landed in a single fight: 21 of 27 attempts against Abel Trujillo at UFC 160 back in 2013
- Ferguson has the longest winning streak (ten) in UFC lightweight division history, and is tied for the sixth most submission victories in UFC history
- Ferguson has the highest win percentage in UFC History (92%)
Keep reading. Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.
We've picked the best AFL player for each jersey number in the modern era, beginning with numbers 1 through to 9.
Plasan's new Yagu is a 95bph armored car. But who cares? What makes this little cart so special?
Fatherhood, loyalty and racism. A Bronx Tale is a fascinating movie filled with powerful themes and memorable quotes.
From being expelled 14 times to cleaning lion cages at Central Park Zoo, there's a lot to learn about Sly Stallone.
The warning signs are obvious. FIFA's decision to use VAR at this year's World Cup could ruin the whole tournament.
Toni Storm was wrestling on the Gold Coast at the age of 13. Now, she's close to landing a contract with the WWE.